By Anastazja Kolodziej
Want the tangy taste of pickles with your lunch, but don’t have any at home? All you need is a handful of carrots and some reserved pickle juice to pickle your own carrots in only a few hours. In this recipe, we used ‘Oxheart’ and ‘Purple Sun’ Carrots we grew in our community garden plot.
- Water, enough to cover ½ inch of the bottom of your jar
- Pinch of salt
- Pickle juice (from pickles you like)
- Wash, peel and chop the carrots.
- Put them into a jar with the water and salt, then boil them in the microwave for about 1 minute.
- Once the carrots are softer (they should have some give but not be too squishy), pour the water out.
- Pour pickle juice into the jar, enough to submerge the carrots properly. Let them sit for at least an hour.
- I started pickling my carrots in the morning, so they pickled for about 4.5 hours before I ate them. However, I liked their taste already by the 2 hour mark.
- If you have some carrots left over, keep them in their jar in the refrigerator. They will stay good for a couple of weeks.